We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Newcastle is situated on the north bank of a shallow gorge on the River Tyne. It is believed that the Romans first built a bridge on this site. Newcastle was the lowest point downstream at which the River Tyne could be bridged. Another bridge was built here in 1250.
In the 17th century nearby coal deposits encouraged the development of the glass industry. There were also local salt deposits and local people were also involved in the manufacture of soap. Coal, salt, soap and glass were transported from the town by coastal vessels and by the beginning of the 18th century Newcastle was the most important town in the North East.
Engineers such as William Hedley, George Stephenson and Timothy Hackworth worked in local collieries experimenting with locomotive transport. In 1823 Edward Pease joined with George Stephenson and his son Robert Stephenson, to form a company to make the locomotives. The Robert Stephenson & Company, at Forth Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, became the world's first locomotive builder.
The coming of the railway further increased the importance of the town. This included the Newcastle & Darlington Railway, Newcastle & Carlisle Railway and the York & Newcastle Railway. Robert Stephenson built the high level bridge between Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Gateshead in 1849. Stephenson's bridge carried both the railway and a roadway over the River Tyne.
Newcastle-upon-Tyne was a commercial as well as an industrial centre. The population grew steadily throughout the 19th century, going from 33,000 in 1801 to 109,000 in 1861. The prosperity of 19th century Newcastle is reflected in the architecture of John Dobson (1787-1865) and John Green (1787-1852).
Newcastle is a spacious, extended, infinitely populous place. It is seated upon the River Tyne, which is here a noble, large and deep river, and ships of any reasonable size may come safely up to the very town. as the town lies on both sides of the river, the parts are joined by a very strong and stately stone bridge of seven very great arches, rather larger than the arches of London Bridge; and the bridge is built into a street of houses also, as London Bridge is. They build ships here to perfection, I mean as to strength and firmness, and to bear the sea; and as the coal trade occasions a demand for such strong ships, a great many are built here. In Newcastle there is considerable manufacture of wrought iron.
From a walled medieval town of monks and merchants, Newcastle has been converted into a busy centre of commerce and manufactures inhabited by nearly 100,000 people. Newcastle is in many respects a town of singular and curious interest, especially in its older parts, which are full of crooked lanes and narrow streets.
As you pass through the country at night, the earth looks as if were bursting with fire at many points; the blaze of coke-ovens, iron-furnaces, and coal heaps reddening the sky to such a distance that the horizon seems to be a glowing belt of fire. From the necessity which existed for facilitating the transport of coals from the pits to the shipping places, it is easy to understand how the railway and the locomotive should have first found their home in such a district.
In the north-eastern corner of England lies the great carboniferous deposit which supplied in 1845 eleven-twelths of the entire mass of coal burned in the grates and furnaces of the kingdom. Between the Coquet and the Tees run the Tyne and the Wear, draining the broadest and richest portions of the coalfield, and on their banks lie scattered the oldest, deepest and the most extensive pits. Like almost all coal deposits, the strata forming the Newcastle field "dip" to a common bottom, somewhat in the manner of a basin, and of this basin, the centre, and therefore the deepest point, lies the sea coast hard by Sunderland.
The houses of the pit village may, be divided into three classes. Those of the lowest class usually contain only one room; those of the second contain a large room and an attic. The best houses consist of two rooms on the ground floor, with generally an attic over one of them. In all cases, the sitting room door is the street door.
More than one half of the pit population virtually live - each family - in a single room. Here is bedroom and kitchen - here the men and the boys, on their return from the pit, wash their almost naked bodies, too often in the presence of growing-up daughters and sisters and here too the women dress and undress. The men say they cannot wash upstairs, as the water would plash through the frequently warped flooring down upon the furniture, and perhaps the bed below.
When a young couple get married they generally go to a furniture broker in Newcastle or Sunderland, with perhaps £10 of ready money, obtaining a considerable part of their purchases upon credit, and paying for it by installments.
There is a considerable number of lodging-houses in Newcastle, some of the rooms of which are frequently occupied by from 15 to 20 persons each. In these houses the most deplorable scenes of profligacy and depravity are met with, both sexes being crowded together in a manner injurious to both health and morals. A medical gentleman told me that in the common lodging-houses where travelling vagrants are often attacked with fever, etc., and in many cases die, the beds are the very next night occupied by fresh inmates, who of course are infected with the same disorder.
Click here for New Castle Community History and Archaeology Project website
Step back in time and experience the charm and beauty of colonial New Castle. Walk the cobblestone streets and enjoy the historic sites of this riverfront community.
New Castle, originally named Fort Casimir, was founded in 1651 by Peter Stuyvesant, who was sent to provide the Dutch with command of all river traffic. Because of its strategic location, ownership of the settlement was constantly changing. The flags of the Netherlands, Sweden and Great Britain have all flown over New Castle.
The three counties which make up the state of Delaware were added to William Penn’s lands in America. In 1682, Penn came ashore at New Castle and took possession, but these counties, which were well established, became dissatisfied with Penn’s rule. In 1704, when he granted them a separate legislature, New Castle became the colonial capitol of Delaware. The lively town also briefly served as the first state capital, and continued as the county seat until the 1880’s.
New Castle’s location made it an ideal transfer point for trips up and down the coast. As a result, New Castle was a thriving community throughout the 1700’s and early 1800’s. The courts and general assembly also attracted various judges, lawyers and government officials who built handsome houses, many of which still remain. The Great Fire of 1824, which started in the stables behind the Jefferson House, claimed many of the inns and warehouses located on The Strand. Among the buildings destroyed was the modest home of George Read, signer of the Declaration on Independence and the Constitution.
Unlike many historic communities, New Castle is a residential town where people live and work. Each house reflects the individuality of its past and present owners. Because New Castle has been named a National Landmark Historic Area, all renovations and restorations are carefully supervised.
This small, picturesque City allows vacationers, as well as business travelers, a refreshing respite from the pressures of daily life. Whether you are enjoying the beaches, the Brandywine Valley, or other treasures of Delaware, be sure to include New Castle in your itinerary.
A timeline of New Castle City History, compiled by the New Castle Historical Society:
1651 – Fort Casimir established at today’s New Castle by the Dutch under Gov. Peter Stuyvesant.
1682 – William Penn landed in New Castle to take control of the colony of Pennsylvania.
1704 – Penn granted Lower Three Counties (today’s Delaware) independent status, with New Castle as their capital.
1764 – First Board of Trustees of New Castle Common named to manage common land for residents.
1776 – New Castle became the state capital, but the state moved its governmental seat to Dover the following year.
1824 – New Castle was devastated by the Great Fire on Water Street, now known as The Strand.
1831 – New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad opened. It was the first railroad in Delaware and one of the first in the nation.
1875 – New Castle incorporated as a city under an act of the state legislature.
1881 – New Castle County seat moved from New Castle to Wilmington.
1897 – Electric trolley service to Wilmington added.
1925 – New Castle-Pennsville, N.J., ferry service was inaugurated. It ended in 1951.
1934 – New Castle Historical Society established for purpose of opening the 1738 Amstel House as the first historic-house museum in town.
1949 – The town’s central district was surveyed and mapped by Historic New Castle Inc. in a preservation initiative.
2001 – The city celebrated the 350th anniversary of its founding.
Researching Your House in the Town of New Castle
A house research guide for New Castle County is available from the State of Delaware has much useful detail, but there are some resources specific to the Town of New Castle. These research approaches are listed below in order of ease of use and usefulness. Even if you know only the address of a property in the historic area you can find out the names of occupants or owners from the first settlement in the 1650’s up to the 1840’s. These names help with the other approaches such as census, probate, tax or burial records.
You can find more information on New Castle Community History and Archaeology Project on their website.
Newcastle - History
The community of Newcastle is located in northwestern McClain County. It is situated at the intersection of U.S. Highway 62/277 and State Highway 130, nineteen miles south of Oklahoma City and seventeen miles northwest of Norman. Newcastle originated with the opening of its post office on March 26, 1894. The mail office was established on the Minco to Norman road in Section 11, Township 9 North, Range 4 West. Eulalie V. Kelley was the first postmaster. In 1905 postmaster Alonzo Haun moved the facility to his general store in Section 14, Township 9 North, Range 4 West.
Newcastle lay in the Chickasaw Nation. The community's first residents included Choctaw, Chickasaw, and individuals who had married into those tribes. Many were involved in ranching. By 1907 statehood the community had a subscription school, a cotton gin, two stores, and two blacksmiths.
Changes spurred Newcastle's growth throughout the 1920s. In 1920 the town's post office was relocated one mile east on land donated for a public school and a church. In 1922 work started on a South Canadian River bridge. The structure was Oklahoma's first federal aid project and a part of the Ozark Trail that was to link Oklahoma City to Amarillo, Texas. Although the trail was never completed, the bridge stayed. It opened on April 23, 1923, and cost $321,393.38 to build. The bridge attracted businesses and allowed for the construction of Highway 62 through Newcastle in 1927.
During World War II Newcastle's population stood at approximately 100. During the war five local men gave their lives in defense of their country. Another was captured in the Philippines and spent more than three years as a Japanese prisoner. Soon after Japan surrendered, a tornado swept through Newcastle and destroyed the school and much of the business section. The twister touched down the evening of September 25, 1945, moving from the southwest to the northeast.
Newcastle's local government did not exist until the 1960s. Fearing annexation from Oklahoma City, Newcastle residents formed their own government. On January 18, 1962, the McClain County Board of County Commissioners proclaimed the incorporation of "South Newcastle." Then, through annexations of its own, South Newcastle grew to some 16,000 acres. On July 28, 1965, a petition was submitted to change the town's name to Newcastle. The request was granted on September 6, 1965. Newcastle's next big event was the tornado of May 3, 1999. The tornado entered the west side of the city limits and stayed on the ground until it crossed the South Canadian River northeast of town.
Newcastle had a population of 1,271 in 1970. That number increased from 3,076 in 1980 to 5,434 in 2000. Cotton, ranching, and the dairy industry, once important to the local economy, declined with the subdivision and commercial development of agricultural lands. At the end of the twentieth century the public school system was Newcastle's largest employer. The 2010 census recorded 7,685 residents.
Alan Davenport and Jason Davenport
Joseph E. King, Spans of Time: Oklahoma Historic Highway Bridges ([Oklahoma City]: Oklahoma Department of Transportation, Planning Division, 1993).
"Newcastle," Vertical File, Research Division, Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma City.
Joyce Rex, ed., McClain County, Oklahoma: History and Heritage, Vol. 2 (Purcell, Okla.: McClain County Historical and Genealogical Society, 1986).
No part of this site may be construed as in the public domain.
Copyright to all articles and other content in the online and print versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History is held by the Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS). This includes individual articles (copyright to OHS by author assignment) and corporately (as a complete body of work), including web design, graphics, searching functions, and listing/browsing methods. Copyright to all of these materials is protected under United States and International law.
Users agree not to download, copy, modify, sell, lease, rent, reprint, or otherwise distribute these materials, or to link to these materials on another web site, without authorization of the Oklahoma Historical Society. Individual users must determine if their use of the Materials falls under United States copyright law's "Fair Use" guidelines and does not infringe on the proprietary rights of the Oklahoma Historical Society as the legal copyright holder of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and part or in whole.
Photo credits: All photographs presented in the published and online versions of The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture are the property of the Oklahoma Historical Society (unless otherwise stated).
The following (as per The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition) is the preferred citation for articles:
Alan Davenport and Jason Davenport, &ldquoNewcastle,&rdquo The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=NE011.
© Oklahoma Historical Society.
Oklahoma Historical Society | 800 Nazih Zuhdi Drive, Oklahoma City, OK 73105 | 405-521-2491
Site Index | Contact Us | Privacy | Press Room | Website Inquiries
Newcastle History The waters of Newcastle
Daniel Waters’ home in Damariscotta Mills is said to have been a tavern for many years.
Samuel Waters came to Newcastle from England. He probably came first to Massachusetts, as he married Mary Kennedy of Bridgewater, Mass. He purchased 200 acres of land in Newcastle at the head of Dyer’s Neck, where it stretched in an uneven pattern from river to river, according to the Rev. David Quimby Cushman in his “History of Ancient Sheepscot and Newcastle.” No date is given for his birth or when he came to Maine but his oldest children were born in the 1760s, when he was, undoubtedly, a young man so he probably was born around 1740.
Samuel Waters was a cooper by trade. Cooperage is the art of making wooden casks, kegs, barrels, tanks, vats, and other circular or elliptical wooden vessels bound together by means of hoops. There were no boxes, no plastic bags everything was carried by barrel or similar container. Water, beer, and food were carried on sailing ships to supply the men with food and drink. All commercial shipments were shipped in like containers
The cooper makes his product in three parts: the staves, the headings, and the hoops. A cooper can work alone at his home shop and this area had the needed hardwood for the task. He was in a ship-building area. This would have been a good place to carry on his trade.
When Samuel arrived at the head of Dyer’s Neck, it was a wild country, but he made a clearing there and made himself and his family a good home. His first wife died and he married Margaret McLelland, the daughter of William McLelland and Mary Ballantine.
William McLelland was of Scotch-Irish descent, and from Medford, Mass. He came to Sheepscot about 1734. After the Presbyterian Church was formed, he was chosen its deacon. He was town clerk from the incorporation of Newcastle until his death in 1763. With the Indian problem, McLelland moved his family in to the garrison at Sheepscot, where they lived for seven years.
One summer, the Indians were so numerous that the people were obliged to go out in companies, guarded by armed men, to do their work. Bread was so scarce, as well as other supplies, that they were obliged to pick peas and eat them with milk as a substitute.
Cushman writes that Samuel Waters “was a very pious man, and did much toward sustaining religious ordinances among the people, and used frequently to have meetings at his own house. Like many good men he had some peculiar notions and ways. When his second wife died, a friend in sympathy remarked to him, ‘You have lost your wife.’ ‘Yes,’ he replied, ‘the loss of women and the increase of sheep will make a man rich.’ When asked a question which he did not care about answering, he would feign deafness – appear as though he did not hear, and would make no reply.”
In 1765, Samuel Waters and John Hussey were chosen to be packers of fish (alewives) and see that the fish ways in the Sheepscot River were unobstructed.
In 1769 Samuel Waters, Jacob Greely and Benjamin Woodbridge were chosen as a committee to lay out a road from the town road on Dyer’s Neck near his home, to join the town road on the Eastern side of Dyer’s River. This would have been to connect with the road in North Newcastle. He was also on the committee to lay out a public landing place at the Head of the Tide and lay out a road leading to it from the town road. This was before Head of the Tide broke away from Newcastle in 1794 to become a part of Alna.
In 1778, a committee was formed “to lay out” a bridled road from Ezekiel Latien’s to Samuel Waters’, on Dyer’s Neck. In 1769, Waters was on the committee to provide a school for the “upper end” of town, the first school in the area.
Later in life, Samuel married for a third time. His new wife was Ruth Averill, of Jefferson. He moved to Jefferson and died there.
Samuel Waters had seven children: four girls and three boys. Mary was the oldest of Samuel’s children. She married Joseph Glidden Jr. in 1770. Joseph, Tobias, and Zebulon Glidden came to this area from New Hampshire about 1750. Joseph purchased 192 acres of land from the William Vaughan estate. This bordered on the river. He bought other pieces of land to border on the county road (what is now Academy Hill Road) so he could have an outlet to get to the main highway. The Mills Road had not been built. His land extended from Damariscotta River to Glidden Street and the gatepost that is still there. Then it followed a line directly up over the hill to near Lincoln Academy.
The house known as the Glidden House was built by him, probably soon after he bought the land. Joseph Jr. and his new wife, Mary Waters, moved in to the place and raised their children there. They had 12 children – nine daughters and three sons.
When the elder Joseph Glidden purchased the place, he found a colony of Indians inhabiting the neck of land on which the oyster banks are located, where they remained and were tolerated for many years, greatly to the discomforts of said Joseph and his family. They would engage in criminal and destructive acts, and even steal the dinner from the table while the mother was waiting for the family to come and gather around. But, says Cushman, they were tolerated and befriended for many years, not withstanding the many annoyances from them being nearby.
Samuel Waters’ first son was named Samuel, for him. He moved out of town to Palermo. Samuel next had a daughter, Nabby, who married Major Moses Carleton, of Wiscasset.
Samuel’s other two sons were active in town affairs. William, born in 1764, married Patience Bryant, born in 1771. She was a daughter of Nathaniel Bryant Sr., who came from the south shore prior to the Revolution. Nathaniel and Patience – don’t those names sound familiar? I have written much about this Bryant family, which still is playing an important part here in Newcastle.
William Waters is called a man of extensive business, a claimant of French spoliations. He is listed a both innholder and a retailer.
In 1796, the town voted to build a bridge over Dyer’s River, where the Erskine Mill was. This was to be on the upper side of the old one. It was to be 20 feet wide and covered with square timber or three-inch plank. It was to be of the proper height, not less than two feet higher than the old bridge. It was to have proper pieces of timber laid on each side of the bridge, in the room of rails. The whole was to be finished in a workman-like manner. William Waters, who lived nearby, agreed to build the bridge in the described manner for $100, within three months.
William was to be involved in a longer and more controversial problem in another field. During the time of the revolution, there was much said about forming a new town out of the North Parish of Pownalboro (Alna) and that portion of the town of Newcastle which lay to the north of the Sheepscot River and to the westward of a line drawn from the “bend” in the Sheepscot River, to the north limits of the town.
The principal reason for separation from Newcastle was that those who lived in that area would have better religious conditions if they did not have to go all the way to the churches in the lower part of Newcastle. In 1778, an article was inserted in the warrant to this effect but it was voted down. These people then asked to be relieved from “paying the Minister rate” in Newcastle, that they might join the North Parish (Alna) in Pownalboro and be assessed there. At the 1779 town meeting, that was voted down, too.
The subject seems to have rested for some years, but in the 1788 warrant an article was inserted to see if the town would let them join the parish and exempt all those living in the area from paying the tax to Newcastle. They would build a church there. This would be their own church and in their neighborhood. This was granted by the town, but this permission was to join the parish, not the town.
In 1790, the request got more detailed. Inhabitants north of the Great Bend of the Sheepscot were involved. The town turned them down, but in 1794, to make them happy, they voted to build a meetinghouse “on the first high hill to the Westward of the dwelling of William Waters, on the North side of the town road.”
The spot was chosen and a committee appointed to carry out this building. They had power given them to choose the dimensions of the house, draw a plan of it, sell the pews, and pay the expense of the building.
Instead, the weary northern residents took their problem directly to the General Court in Massachusetts and it granted their request to leave Newcastle. The act for incorporating the town of New Milford (Alna), was passed on June 25, 1794. And the act setting off a part of Newcastle to New Milford was passed in February 1795.
It was agreed that Alna should pay to Newcastle the sum of $100, in four annual installments.
Alna should also pay the county tax for the last year. This had been a long and tedious controversy. From it, Newcastle lost a large section of its northeast territory. Today, most people drive through Head Tide and never think it was once a part of Newcastle. There is nothing written about what William Waters’ part was in the proceedings.
Son Daniel followed William. Daniel was born in 1768 and married Mary Weeks, of Jefferson. Daniel is referred to as “Major” but the information does not say how he got the title. He was a justice of the peace and a surveyor of lumber. He is listed as an innholder and a retailer. He was moderator for the town and served as selectman.
In 1797, he was chosen as a delegate to represent Newcastle in a convention at Hallowell to take into consideration the dividing of the county of Lincoln into two counties and to decide where the line should be. It is to be remembered that in 1760 Cumberland and Lincoln counties were set off from York County. Lincoln became the entire northern part of the state. Its county seat was at Pownalboro, on the Kennebec River. The first courthouse and jail were built there about 1761. When Pownalboro was divided into three towns, the seat of government was moved to the South Precinct, now Wiscasset, where a courthouse and jail were built.
This caused dissension with the people in Hallowell (Augusta was its northern parish). Their claim was that Wiscasset was too far away for them to travel to attend court and for legal business. A proposal was made to the Court of General Sessions in Massachusetts that a new Lincoln County court and jail should be built in both Wiscasset and Augusta. After 1786, the courts met in Lincoln County twice each year, alternately in Pownalboro (Wiscasset) and in Hallowell (Augusta).
This was not a good plan, either. Two county seats made court sessions confusing. And it was to help solve this situation that Daniel Waters went to Hallowell in 1797. The committee came up with the plan to split the county. The towns around Hallowell and Augusta were formed into a new county: Kennebec. In 1799, Kennebec County was formed to include many of the towns on both sides of the Kennebec River.
Lincoln County still consisted of land now parts of Androscoggin, Sagadahoc, and Knox counties. Those counties would not be taken from Lincoln County for more than 50 years.
Samuel’s daughter, Jane, was next in line. She married twice: James Clark and Benjamin Ayer. Both lived in Alna. Nancy, the youngest daughter and youngest child, died young. Although both William and Daniel had large families, today there are no people named Waters on the tax list in Newcastle.
On January 1, 1998, “Newcastle Gaming Center” threw open its doors in the modest suburb of Newcastle, Oklahoma.
In the more than two decades since, through extensive expansion and remodeling, we are officially Newcastle Casino (as of 2012), offering 112,000 square feet of winning atmosphere and personalized customer service. And we’ve become one of the most popular gaming destinations in the state’s history.
Newcastle now brings you the most electronic games in the state, at more than 3,000 and counting. Plus Roulette, Blackjack, 3-Card Poker, Ultimate Texas Hold ‘Em and much more. And with a mouth-watering restaurant, a fun-fueled sports bar and a top-notch gift shop, over the past 20+ years we’ve turned into an adventurous AdventureRoad.com travel partner.
Another ongoing source of pride for Newcastle: We’re proudly owned and operated by the Chickasaw Nation, which brings you decades of experience and expertise in casino gaming and entertainment. The profits from Newcastle Casino and other Chickasaw Nation businesses provide so much in return, essentials such as health care, education, transportation and more vital services for the Chickasaw people.
10 Newcastle streets and the origins of their names: Westgate Road to Blackett Street
If a visitor were to be somehow plonked back in time to the year 1700, they would certainly have a difficult time navigating the crowded lanes, chares and streets of the old town of Newcastle.
The reason? There were no street signs. It was only later, as the 18th century progressed, that signs were first put up to help people get about.
Today most of us who shop, work or socialise in Newcastle, will rarely give a second thought to why the streets were given the names they have.
But quite often, they throw an interesting light on the city&aposs past or the prominent individuals who once shaped its history.
We stop off at 10 well-known Newcastle streets and explore the origins of their names.
Taking its name from one of the six great fortified gates in Newcastle’s old town walls, Westgate Road is one of the city’s best-known locations. Rising out of today’s city centre, it used to be called Westgate Street, and before that plain old Westgate. The West Gate stood where Pink Lane meets Westgate Road today.
Named after Alderman Edward Mosley, the road was opened in the late 18th century and linked Pilgrim Street and the old Flesh Market area. One of Newcastle’s many claims to fame is that the world’s first electric street lighting illuminated Mosley Street from 1879.
The southern stretch of one of the city’s oldest streets is looking a bit down-at-heel these days - but well-overdue investment and a revamp is thankfully in the pipeline. The street is thought to be named after the religious pilgrims who flocked through the former Pilgrim Gate on their way to the shrine of Our Lady at Jesmond. Another theory is that the pilgrims might well have been on their way to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne.
Like the city’s Nelson Street and Waterloo Street, Collingwood Street derived its name from British military triumphs of the early 19th century. Newcastle-born Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood was one of the heroes of the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. Today the street named after him is home to the so-called Diamond Strip and some of Newcastle’s trendiest bars and clubs.
Wander down to Newcastle Cathedral and, in its shadow, you’ll come across Amen Corner. This is where regular religious processions undertaken by the clergy would come to an end, and prayers would be said. The location is also home to the so-called ‘Vampire Hare’ - a curious architectural feature over the rear entrance to cathedral buildings.
Today home to some of the city’s most popular pubs, the lane derives its name from the Pink Tower - one of 17 towers around Newcastle’s 25-foot high former town walls. The tower was demolished in 1852.
Named after one of two bridges that crossed the Lort Burn, a dirt-filled stream which ran from Castle Leazes down to the River Tyne through the middle of the town where Grey Street and Dean Street stand today. The bridge connected the Bigg Market and Pilgrim Street.
Usually referred to as The Side, the old Quayside thoroughfare is properly known as just Side. Today home to popular bars and restaurants, it was the historic main route linking the town centre and the bustling riverside area.
Many have stood - and later sat - at Newcastle United’s famous Gallowgate End. Famously, the name has dark origins. Gallowgate was the route taken by convicted criminals from the town centre to the gallows which stood on Newcastle’s Town Moor. There were grim spectacles over the years. In 1650, 22 people - including 15 witches - were hanged in one day. The last execution took place in 1844.
Named after another of Newcastle’s eminent citizens, John Blackett, who was mayor on several occasions in the 18th century. Once a muddy lane, Richard Grainger’s much-improved version was built in 1824, following the Northern section of the old Town Wall.
• A visit to the Anna Miller Museum in Newcastle offers a wonderful trek through history!
Agriculture is central, both today and historically, to the Newcastle economy. Wheat harvested in the area, like that shown in the photograph, was delivered to Toomy’s Mill in Newcastle where it was sold and made into flour and other flour-based products. Photo courtesy of the Anna Miller Museum, Newcastle
Newcastle, Wyoming, took roots on Sept. 10, 1889 when the Lincoln Land Company, a subsidiary of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (CB&Q), sold lots at auction. The discovery of coal near Cambria (located north of Newcastle) in 1887 by Frank Mondell, earned the railroad mangers’ attention and CB&Q built a seven-mile spur from Newcastle north to Cambria.
Kilpatrick Brothers & Collins Commissary, now The Antlers in downtown Newcastle, was the community’s first substantial building. During the Battle at Wounded Knee in 1890 the building was fortified and stocked with ammunition. The windows were barricaded with sacks of flour. That same year, 1890, eleven more buildings were added. Several remain standing in the historic downtown area to this day. Isabella’s Restaurant and the new Miners on Main Bar & Grill are also housed in one of the community’s more historic structures!
Truly a wild west town in its early days, Newcastle’s very first ordnance prohibited the firing of guns within the city limits. The community was home to 14 saloons, numerous dance halls, prostitutes and gambling. Although the Blacks Hills were reportedly the first area of Wyoming to be explored, in many ways they were also the last. Joseph and Francois Verendrye, French-Canadian explorers, visited portions of Montana and northeastern Wyoming as early as 1743. It wasn’t, however, until the railroad later arrived that the area was populated by more than trappers, a few stockmen and some road agents along the Cheyenne to Deadwood stage route.
By Jan Thompson, owner, Newcastle Produce
In my family, farming is a passion. My great, great grandfather farmed in Placer County, and we continue his tradition today, 150 years later.
My grandfather, Harold Leak, was 19 years old when he bought 40 acres in rural Placer County and planted fruit trees. Fifteen years later he bought another 350 acres on the American River and planted more fruit trees. He loved his chosen lifestyle he loved his ranches and he was very proud of the juicy, sweet, tree-ripened peaches he sent to market every summer.
In 1939, he captured the daily activities of the “River Ranch” on 16mm movie film. Photos from this “Farm Family Album” hang on our store walls. My daughter Karen painted the mural which adorns the back wall of our store. (It is based on an old family photograph from when I was child.)
“Boppop” passed his love of farming on to his son and grandchildren and today we are still farming. Although the “River Ranch” lies under the waters of Folsom Lake, the “H. P. Leak Ranch” in Loomis and my great-grandfather’s old “Fieser Ranch” are now the home of our own “Twin Brooks Farm.”
We, too, are passionate about farming and committed to producing fruits and vegetables with that old-fashioned flavor and sweetness that my ancestors knew. We are committed to sustainable farming practices that keep our soils and crops healthy, and we are committed to supporting other local small farms whose goals are similar to our own.
The club was formed through a merger of two older Tyneside clubs: Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End. In order to signify the fusion, the newly formed club was named Newcastle United. Not long after that, Newcastle became known for their quick and attractive brand of football which paid dividends during their early years. After being admitted to the Football League in 1894, they earned promotion to the First Division in 1899. They would play at St. James' Park, the oldest football ground i England, there matches were played already in the 1880s.
One of the top teams
The arrival of a new century proved to be a good omen for Newcastle. With a team full of English stars and international talent, Newcastle went on to dominate the First Division by winning the titles in 1905, 1907 and 1908. Strangely enough, this productive period also contained the lowest point in their history: a 9-1 drubbing to Sunderland in 1908. After claiming their first FA Cup trophy with a victory over Barnsley in the final, their promising run was cut short by the World War I.
Post-war, the club returned in style with another FA Cup trophy in 1924. They followed it up by acquiring the talented Hughie Gallacher the following season this would prove to be a shrewd business move, as Gallacher became the club's captain and led the team to another League title in 1927. Newcastle won another FA Cup in 1932 before entering a mediocre period that would culminate in their relegation to the Second Division in 1934.
Once again, the club bounced back after the war. Led by a future club legend Jackie Milburn, Newcastle returned to the top-flight in 1948 and won three FA Cups in the period between 1951 and 1955, in a streak that would earn them a reputation as Cup specialists. Even though the following couple of decades would see Newcastle making deep runs in both English Cups, additional silverware was hard to come by.
The Premier League era
In the early 90s, the club turned a new page by appointing Kevin Keegan as manager. The change of personnel immediately yielded results, as Newcastle stormed back to the top-flight in 1993. After hitting the jackpot with big-name signings such as David Ginola and Alan Shearer, Newcastle almost ended up overthrowing Manchester United in 1996 and 1997, finishing as runners-up in both occasions. They also lost the FA Cup finals in 1998 and 1999 before returning to relative obscurity at the turn of the century.
The team in 2015.
In the 1990s until the year 2000 majors overhaul of the classic stadium was done. By several rebuildings the capacity was increased dramatically and a cantilever roof, the biggest in Europe, was created.
St. James' Park after rebuilding with cantilever roof.
The current logo wasn&rsquot introduced until the 1988-1989 season. The logo is based on the Newcastle upon Tyne city crest, but using the black and white team colors. In the blue banner at the bottom, the name of the team is written.
Our researchers have a diverse range of interests, displayed across their publications.
Our Latest News
GRG UG Dissertation prize winner
Success for student who has won a university-wide award for her best undergraduate dissertation.
CWGC Non-Commemoration Report
A report into the historical inequalities in the commemoration of British Empire soldiers from World War I and World War II has been published by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Funding boost for cutting edge archaeological research
The Newcastle Material Culture Analytical Suite (NeMCAS) will be equipped with new facilities for materials analysis, providing students, researchers and community partners access to world-class research facilities.