News

Cranbury Park

Cranbury Park


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Cranbury Park is one of the largest and busiest urban parks in Fairfield County, Norwalk. It spreads out over more than 190 acres and features vast stretches of open fields, woodland groves, and a wealth of recreational activities.The park has mountain biking and cycling trails, a sculpture garden, an 18-hole golf course, a pavilion, an outdoor restroom, and a playground.The Gallagher Estate, which houses the 18th-century Gallagher Mansion, lies within the park. The mansion is available for private functions, luncheons, and weddings by reservation.The entrance to the Gallagher Estate-Cranbury Park is at the end of Kennset Road.


Cranbury Park

(External Website if available.
Not all properties are open to the public)

Property exists today in some form ?

Historical notes about Cranbury Park

The text published below was originally written, to accompany the image above, in the middle of the 19th Century during the reign of Queen Victoria. Be aware however we have made some minor alterations to both the content and its layout that hopefully makes it more readable by our users. We have also, in some cases, added content to bring the information up to date where new data has become available, we will continue to do this over time.


Cranbury Park & Gallaher Estate

The Gallaher Mansion and Cranbury Park include wooded trails, a dog park, pavilion and a regulation disc golf course that winds in and out of the woods. Playground, picnic areas, and sculpture gardens.

The Gallaher Mansion and Cranbury Park include wooded trails, a dog park, pavilion and a regulation disc golf course that winds in and out of the woods. Playground, picnic areas, and sculpture gardens. Surrounded by 227 acres of land, the historic Gallaher Mansion is a classic example of the Tudor Revival-style of architecture. Designed by Percy L. Fowler, the building was models after St. Paul's Episcopal Church located at the Norwalk Green. Completed in 1931, it boasts carved limestone shields, hand-painted stained glass, a heavy slate roof and cross gables that help punctuate its medieval style. With its expansive great lawn, stone terrace and sculpture gardens, the mansion provides a handsome backdrop to weddings and events. Smaller gatherings can take advantage of the French Walnut paneled meeting rooms year-round.

Built by Industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher during the Great Depression, it was both a statement of his success and a showcase of devices which likely intrigued the successful inventor. An elevator, a "intercom," call buttons and an incinerator were all party of the modern conveniences that filled the interior.

The Gallaher Mansion and picnic pavilion are available for private functions.


Big plans for Norwalk treasure

1 of 12 Holly Cuzzone, left, and Celia Maddox are members of Friends of Cranbury Park. They are depicted here in front of the fireplace at the Gallaher Estate. A photo of Edward Beach Gallaher rests on the mantel. Photo by Nicole Rivard/Contributed Photo Show More Show Less

2 of 12 Cranbury Park was once home to Kensett Sanitarium, owned by Dr. Edward E. Smith. It was destroyed by fire in 1912. Contributed Photo Show More Show Less

4 of 12 This excavation unit shows the buried fieldstone foundation of Dr. Smith's cottage interfaced with a brick surface feature, possibly a floor. Contributed Photo Show More Show Less

5 of 12 Celia Maddox, president of Friends of Cranbury Park, lives in this house where Lucille Lortel, "Queen of Off-Broadway" used to live. Photo by Nicole Rivard/Contributed Photo Show More Show Less

7 of 12 The Gregory family moved to Cranbury in the 1600s and opened the Gregory store, which today is called the Cranbury Market. Contributed Photo Show More Show Less

8 of 12 Cranbury Market. Photo by Nicole Rivard/Contributed Photo Show More Show Less

10 of 12 Windows inside the Gallaher Estate in Cranbury Park. Contributed Photo Show More Show Less

11 of 12 These murals still grace the walls of the basement of the Gallaher Estate, which was once a gentlemen's den where Gallaher entertained friends. Photo by Nicole Rivard/Contributed Photo Show More Show Less

Today people flock to bucolic Cranbury Park in Norwalk perhaps to see the majestic Gallaher Estate, catch a show at the Carriage House Theater, practice their disc golf skills or walk with their dogs along the wooded trails.

But there was a time when people went there under less pleasant circumstances. The park was once home to a sanitarium.

Dr. Edwin Everett Smith's Kensett Sanitarium began operation in 1886, serving individuals with "nervous diseases, mental alienation, alcoholic and narcotic addictions," according to information provided by Holly Cuzzone, a member of the preservationist group Friends of Cranbury Park, until a fire destroyed it in 1912.

In the days leading up to the fire, Jan. 28, 1912, horse-drawn carriages filled with mentally unstable occupants trundled the roadways from South Norwalk. Carriage drivers picked up passengers from the old train station, before they left for the sanitarium on the hill. As they traveled north through the city, the carriages and their occupants would have met Field Street, a road on which, according to census records, Smith resided. Eventually the journey would have ended on a wide, partially-bricked roadway that bisects Cranbury Park from Field to Grumman streets. The road was an extension of Field Street, which Cuzzone found depicted on an old postcard showing the sanitarium.

The title of the postcard read: "The Lane Through the Woods at Kensett Sanitarium."

According to newspaper accounts, the fire that eventually consumed the buildings on the sweeping grounds of the sanitarium began in a defective flue in the attic. A raging wall of fire boiled through Smith's sanctuary, melting glass windowpanes into amorphous, molten sheets, eradicating medical equipment and spiking flames high into winter sky. Patients scattered outside in terror. Firemen battled in vain to save battled in vain to save the main building, where most of the patients were housed. Flames eventually leapt to Smith's private cottage.

When the inferno was over, dozens of shell-shocked patients stood huddled inside a secondary building and the sanitarium's bowling alley. A New York Times' article the next day pegged the cost of damage in excess of $20,000.

While few reminders of the sanitarium remain, visitors to the the 220-acre park may find themselves driving along one particular road to get there, Kensett Avenue.

City directories show that Smith reopened his establishment at 65 East Ave. on the Norwalk Green, where it remained in operation there until 1914. Smith retired to Cold Spring, N. Y. He died on May 24, 1919, at the age of 75.

The day Edward Beach Gallaher died-- Jan. 9, 1953--marked the beginning of the Cranbury Park most residents are familiar with today.

An inventor and patent holder, Gallaher moved to Norwalk around 1910 and established the Clover Manufacturing Company on Main Avenue. The plant was an important producer of industrial abrasives. A 1919 advertisement reads: Thousands of mechanics depend on Clover for accuracy in fitting together engine parts. During the war, Clover helped Uncle Sam speed up ship production.

Gallaher built the mansion at Cranbury Park for himself and his wife Inez. In accordance with her husband's last wishes, Inez Gallaher bequeathed the Clover Manufacturing Company, their mansion and the 200+ acre estate, valued at one million dollars, to Gallaher's alma mater, the Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, N.J.

Representatives from Stevens announced their intentions to house research projects in buildings to be erected on the Gallaher Estate grounds. But those plans never materialized, Cuzzone said. When Inez Gallaher died in 1965, the city of Norwalk acquired the Gallaher house and the grounds from Stevens Institute. The grounds were to be used, from that point forward, as a public park.

Celia Maddox, president of Friends of Cranbury Park, is quick to point out there is more to the history of the Cranbury neighborhood than the park and the Gallaher Estate.

"I think the neighborhood was mainly a farming community," she said of Cranbury's 17th-century roots and referring to census records. "Many tradesmen also lived there."

A tea house and cigar shop once stood where Cranbury's Convenience Store exists today, and a neighborhood district called Toilsome was eventually absorbed into the larger Cranbury district, which stretches on along its northern boundary into a snippet of Wilton.

There is also the White Barn Theatre, which became part of the Connecticut Friends School campus on Newtown Avenue in 2008.

"It's extremely important in the history of American theater," Maddox said.

Lucille Lortel, a young, silent film actress, developed the eclectic, 148-seat summer theater during the 1940s, and the converted barn went on to serve as an acting hotspot for greats like Arthur Miller and Marilyn Monroe.

"Some of her actors were black, and they couldn't stay in motels," Maddox explained. So Lortel decided to put the black actors up at one of her residences in Cranbury.

It was, coincidentally enough, the Partrick Avenue house Maddox ended up purchasing in the 1990s.

"The theater was different from other stock theaters in that it was experimental," Maddox said. "It was forward-looking and progressive."

Productions continued at the White Barn into the 1980s.

In 2003, the Save Cranbury Association, a grass-roots neighborhood organization, was formed as a result of the announcement made by the Lucille Lortel Foundation Trustees that they intended to develop the White Barn property. Save Cranbury Association, comprised of neighbors and supported by state and local elected officials, the Norwalk Land Trust, and other neighborhood groups in both Norwalk and Westport, led the battle to fight for and save this Cranbury neighborhood from over-development. In November, 2005, SCA helped secure a CT DEP Open Space Grant for $450,000, and then asked mayor Alex Knopp and the Common Council to match the grant. Under the incoming administration of Richard Moccia, the City of Norwalk approved a $250,000 contribution towards the purchase of the White Barn Preserve area. The state and city grant money provided SCA and NLT with heightened visibility and with the leverage required to secure what is now the White Barn Preserve, 5.2 acres.

In 2006, when the trustees ultimately sold the property to James Feiber, a developer, SCA and NLT held numerous discussions to assure that with the, $700,000 in place, the wetland/woodland area of the property would not be developed. Then Connecticut Friends School expressed interest in the property, and raised the down payment to purchase the Norwalk section of the property from Feiber and rescue the historic White Barn Theatre.

The school is developing the White Barn Campus to increase its student body to 125 students and serve preschoolers. Its immediate goal is to renovate the theater to use it as initial classroom space.

Other structures, like a bunkhouse at the end of Bayne Street built during the sanitarium years, still stand in the Cranbury neighborhood of Norwalk. They are aging relics that Friends of Cranbury Park are trying to shield from decay, valuable remnants of a different era in the city's history.

District D Common Council member Clyde Mount calls the Cranbury neighborhood home.

Situated in the northeast corner of the city, Cranbury offers residents like Mount countryside solitude only a short drive from the bustling South Norwalk corridor.

"What I like about Cranbury is the fact that you're very rural, but five to 10 minutes away from pretty much anything," the first-term councilman said. "When people see pictures of my backyard they ask me, `Is that a campground?' Just in general, you have everything you could need from a large city right around the corner."

At the junction of Newtown Avenue and Chestnut Hill Road, a shopping center complete with nail spa, cleaners, bank, pizza parlor and market offers residents a variety of amenities.

"The Cranbury Market sells New York bakery bread," Mount said. "A lot of people go there for groceries, breakfast sandwiches, lotto tickets. It's a nice setup. If there was a hardware store [in the shopping center], it would be perfect. It's a great section of town."

"I think the people are probably a little more private in Cranbury," he said. "But we have people over all the time for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. The people here are also very passionate about what they do."

That passion is what is driving Cranbury residents to seek a spot for the Gallaher Estate on the National Register of Historic Places. The estate is already on the State Register of Historic Places.

Tod Bryant, president of the Norwalk Preservation Trust, believes the distinction will happen.

"The register would include the story and the history of the Gallaher building in the permanent record in Washington," he said. "The distinction would also make the property eligible for grants it might not otherwise be eligible for."

Bryant believes the estate could secure its spot on the register this year.


On the market: Former Norwalk home of Gallaher Mansion industrialist

The house at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk once belonged to investor and industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher. He later went on to build the Gallagher Mansion in Cranbury Park.

The house at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk once belonged to investor and industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher. He later went on to build the Gallagher Mansion in Cranbury Park.

The house at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk once belonged to investor and industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher. He later went on to build the Gallagher Mansion in Cranbury Park.

The house at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk once belonged to investor and industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher. He later went on to build the Gallagher Mansion in Cranbury Park.

The house at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk once belonged to investor and industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher. He later went on to build the Gallagher Mansion in Cranbury Park.

The house at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk once belonged to investor and industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher. He later went on to build the Gallagher Mansion in Cranbury Park.

The house at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk once belonged to investor and industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher. He later went on to build the Gallagher Mansion in Cranbury Park.

The house at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk once belonged to investor and industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher. He later went on to build the Gallagher Mansion in Cranbury Park.

The house at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk once belonged to investor and industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher. He later went on to build the Gallagher Mansion in Cranbury Park.

The house at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk once belonged to investor and industrialist Edward Beach Gallaher. He later went on to build the Gallagher Mansion in Cranbury Park.

Those who have strolled through Cranbury Park in Norwalk have probably seen the Gallaher Mansion, a limestone Tudor Revival mansion that was once home to industrialist and inventor Edward Beach Gallaher.

Before Gallagher built that grand mansion in 1930, the Clover Manufacturing Co. owner and pioneer of early auto design called the spacious Colonial Revival at 27 Chestnut Hill Road in Norwalk home.

It's known as the Gallagher Estate, according to the listing.

&ldquoAround 1876, there was a reawakening of Americans to the architectural traditions of colonial homes,&rdquo said Gloria Dillard, listing agent for Keller Williams Prestige Properties. &ldquoHe really dug into Colonial Revival style.&rdquo

Built in 1902 in what is now the Cranbury neighborhood, the 5,000-square-foot home features a wraparound front porch and portico, high ceilings and hardwood flooring.

Some of the spacious rooms have pocket doors. In addition to the formal living and dining rooms, there is a large family room/library with a fireplace and custom built-ins. The chef&rsquos kitchen has a wood-burning fireplace.

This home also includes a three-car garage and an in-ground Gunite pool and jet spa.


Cranbury is a national historic district. (Photo:

Courtesy of David Nissen Photography)

Story Highlights

  • Visitors to Cranbury can get a taste of that history by picking up a self-guided walking tour from the Cranbury Museum.
  • Cranbury has preserved hundreds of acres of open space for recreation and the preservation of natural resources.
  • The Cranbury Historical and Preservation Society was formed in 1970, which led to the town being entered on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places.

CRANBURY – Central Jersey is blessed with the presence of cities and large towns budding with modernity and innovation, but it also has claim to one small town that can call itself one of the oldest in the state.

Cranbury, a friendly, walkable, 13-square-mile town of about 4,000 people that is home to a historic district, can trace its first buildings to 1698 and was officially created as a township in 1872.

Visitors to Cranbury can get a taste of that history by picking up a self-guided walking tour from the Cranbury Museum at 4 Park Place East from 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays or at cranburyhistory.org. They can also email [email protected] to organize a guided walking tour.

“Visiting Cranbury is like going back in time, but with access to modern-day conveniences,” said Lina Llona, president of the Middlesex County Regional Chamber of Commerce Convention and Visitors Bureau. “People are very hospitable and there are tons of things to see and do.”

Although there are 31 sites on the walking tour, a few of the highlights include the Cranbury Museum, which was built in 1834 and contains 18th- and 19th-century furnishings and local memorabilia, and the Cranbury Inn, which is one of the oldest businesses in Cranbury, dating to 1800.

Posted!

A link has been posted to your Facebook feed.

Courtesy of David Nissen Photography

Courtesy of David Nissen Photography

Courtesy of David Nissen Photography

Courtesy of David Nissen Photography

Courtesy of David Nissen Photography

Courtesy of David Nissen Photography

Courtesy of David Nissen Photography

Interested in this topic? You may also want to view these photo galleries:

“Anyone who likes history or architecture, dating 1700 to 1930 within the historic district, would find Cranbury an interesting place to visit,” said Audrey Smith, vice president of the Cranbury Historical and Preservation Society who has lived in the town for 36 years.

Some of the other must-see stops are Cranbury’s Town Hall, which was originally built as a school, and Brainerd Cemetery, which has more than 40 graves pre-1800 and the graves of eighty Revolutionary War veterans.

Cranbury is also a participant in the State Green Acres program and the Middlesex County open-space programs and has preserved hundreds of acres of open space for recreation and the preservation of natural resources. The significance of Cranbury’s history is woven into its agriculture, as the village was built to serve the surrounding farm community.

The preservation of Cranbury’s historical charm was no accident.

The Cranbury Historical and Preservation Society was formed in 1970, which led to the town being entered on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places in 1979 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Its nomination for the National Register of Historic Places said, “Cranbury is the best preserved 19th century village in Middlesex County… While there are many small mill towns in New Jersey, few are in such an undisturbed environment as that of Cranbury.”

Then, the Historic Preservation Advisory Committee was established in 1988 for the purposes of protecting, enhancing and perpetuating historical resources within the township. Today, they still identify historic landmarks and districts and advise the town’s planning and zoning boards.

“It was the result of terrific insight,” said Bobbie Marlowe, chair of the Historic Preservation Commission who has lived in Cranbury for 35 years. “When they tried to build Route 31 through Cranbury, the community made sure we were recognized as a historic district so it would be protected.”

Courtesy of David Nissen Photography)

Although a few other towns in the area are reminiscent of Cranbury, such as Pennington, Hopewell, Bordentown and Allentown, Marlowe stressed that they don’t have the amenities that Cranbury has and residents aren’t anonymous in the historic town, where visitors can find older people and younger people alike calling Cranbury home.

“Cranbury isn’t gimmicky,” said Llona. “It’s easy to remember that people live there.”

Jenna Intersimone's "Life Aboard The Traveling Circus" column appears Tuesdays. Her "Life Aboard The Traveling Circus" blog is at LifeAboardTheTravelingCircus.com. Tweet her at @JIntersimone or email her at [email protected]

Do you like this kind of content? Don't forget to subscribe here.


HURSLEY

Hurseleghe (xiii cent.), Hursele (xiv cent).

The parish of Hursley, covering 6,949 acres, (fn. 1) lies south-west of Winchester. The north of the parish, being part of the girdle of bare chalk downs which surround the city of Winchester, reaches over 500 ft. near Crabwood Farm. The land falls towards the centre of the parish, where the village lies on low ground, but rises again to a moderate height in the south. The main road from Winchester to Romsey traverses the whole length of the parish, passing through the hamlets of Pitt and Standon, Hursley village, and Ampfield. Hursley village is one of the most picturesque types of the larger Hampshire villages. Entering it from Winchester, low thatched cottages are grouped on the left and right. A row of pollard limes stands in front of some low cottages on the east hand, and away on the west, behind a low hedge, are stretches of meadow, and in the distance behind a belt of trees is the church spire. Farther along the road by the 'White Horse' a sharp bend up-hill to the left leads by Collins Lane to Upper Sharland, and then the main road winds slightly west into the centre of the village. Standing well back from the road on the right is the village school beyond is the church, and behind the church the vicarage. Facing and parallel with the low stone wall of the churchyard is a row of cottages, one of which serves as the post office, and at the end of the row is the quaint blacksmith's shop overshadowed by a tall elm tree. Beyond the church, on the right, are four or five cottages fronting on the street, tiled and timbered with latticed windows and overhanging stories belonging at latest to the seventeenth century. Lower down the street and on the opposite side of the road are more modern houses and cottages, and at the end of the street on the left, surrounded by a high wall, is Southend House, the residence of Mr. H. V. Henry. Following this wall round to the left a narrow lane branches from the main road and leads to Bunstead and on to Silkstead, which is partly in Hursley parish.

West of the village and almost parallel with the village street is Hursley Park, covering 450 acres of luxuriantly wooded country well stocked with deer. Hursley House, standing in the park, was built in 1718–20 by Sir William Heathcote, first baronet, and has been very much extended and refitted within the last few years by the present owner, Sir George Cooper. In the north of the park are the ruins of Merdon Castle, one of the palaces of the bishops of Winchester.

The Cranbury estate, including Cranbury Park and Cranbury House, a residence of Mr. Tankerville Chamberlayne, M.P., lies in the south-east corner of the parish. The thickly-wooded country which closes around the park on the east and south continues southwards to Hiltingbury Common, which is now since 1894 part of Ampfield parish, but was part of Hursley when Ampfield itself was a hamlet of Hursley. Ampfield Wood, lying to the west, stretches across from the woods which lie south of Hursley Park to the border line between Ampfield and Romsey parishes.

Ampfield village is south of the wood and consists of a number of scattered cottages brought probably into existence by the necessity for workers at the saw-mills and the gravel-pits in Ganges Wood. St. Mark's church stands on high ground north of the main road, and west of the church, about half way down the hill, is the vicarage. Ampfield House, the residence of Mr. David Faber, J.P., and Philpott's Farm are also close on the main road, but the cottages and the village school lie away to the north along a branch in the road between the church and vicarage.

The hamlet of Standon lies about half a mile north of Hursley village where the main road curves to the right towards Winchester. It consists of a group of some picturesque half-timber thatched cottages lying back for the most part behind bright cottage gardens

Pitt hamlet nestles between two steep hills about two miles north-west from Stanton. Pitt Farm is on the right, and along a branch road to the left are a few scattered cottages and a school chapel built by Miss Charlotte Yonge in 1858, served by the vicar of Hursley. The oldest house is at the corner of the road, a long low half-timber thatched cottage possibly dating back to the sixteenth century. There is no river in Hursley parish, but there are several lakes and ponds covering 10 acres altogether one in Hursley Park, three in Cranbury Park (Great Pond, Upper Pond, and Lower Pond), a small one at Parsonage Farm, another at Upper Sharland, and several at Standon and Pitt. The soil of the parish varies from chalk in the north to clay, sand, and gravel with peat in the south, and the vegetation differs accordingly. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and oats, with good crops of turnips and peas.

CASTLE

Although it is possible that an earthwork existed at Merdon in the eleventh century or earlier, yet there is no mention of such in Domesday, and the foundation of the castle is ascribed to Bishop Henry de Blois, who built and fortified it in 1138. (fn. 2) During the next few years, in the struggle between Stephen and the Empress Maud, the castle was doubtless of military importance, but from that time it seems to have been rather a bishop's palace than a military castle.

Like Farnham and Wolvesey it was kept in good repair, and between 1265 and 1268 in Bishop Gervase's account book an entry was made of the expense of fitting up the hall in the castle of Merdon. (fn. 3) In 1278 Bishop Nicholas of Ely was resident at the castle, and the ceremony of reinstating the prior of St. Swithun was performed there. (fn. 4) However, by the fourteenth century such parts as were useless for habitation seem to have fallen into decay, though Bishop Edendon seems to have resided there as late as 1365. (fn. 5)

The site of Merdon Castle is marked by a fine circular earthwork surrounded by a deep ditch, with traces of a second line of banks outside the ditch, and a causeway on the east leading to the central inclosure. A small length of the curtain wall remains on the south, with a tower which may be of twelfth-century date. Its walls are 7 ft. thick, and the windows and doorways have lost their architectural detail, but appear to have been round-headed.

MANOR

There is only one manor in the parish of Hursley, and that bearing not the name of the parish, but of the ancient castle of MERDON—(Maerdune, Meredune, Meretune, Merantune (ix cent.), Mardon, Merden (xv cent. et seq.)—within the parish. Though it is difficult to state with any certainty that the 'Merantune' of the AngloSaxon Chronicle, the scene of Cynwulf's murder by Cynheard his kinsmen in 784, was Merdon in Hursley, yet there is much to be said for the suggestion. (fn. 6) Certain it is that the murdered king was buried at Winchester, his capital and his visit with a small company to 'Merantune,' made evidently from Winchester, is more likely to have been a short journey to a quiet country place just outside Winchester than across Surrey. The next mention of Merantune or Maerdune is in 781, when two months after the Danes had been victorious at Basing King Ethelred and Alfred his brother fought with them at Merdon. Though for a time fortune favoured the king, yet in the end the Danes were victorious and held the place of battle. (fn. 7)

Merdon was probably included in the grant made about 636 by King Kinegils to the bishop and church of Winchester of land within a seven-mile circle of Winchester, (fn. 8) and from that time onwards to the reign of Edward VI the bishops of Winchester held the manor. In 1291 Merdon was included among the bishop's lands, and was worth £80. (fn. 9)

In 1341 Adam, bishop of Winchester, granted the office of parker or warrener in his manor of Merdon to Giles de Mansynton, subject to the confirmation of the grant by the prior and convent of St. Swithun. There is little else in the history of the manor, apart from the castle, until the reign of Edward VI, when in 1552 John Poynet, bishop of Winchester, surrendered Merdon among other lands to the king. (fn. 10) In the same year Edward granted it to Sir Philip Hoby, together with the park of Hursley, to be held in chief for the fortieth part of a knight's fee. (fn. 11) Before this time there was probably no manor-house at Merdon except the castle, and that was in decay by the fourteenth century, and it was Sir Philip Hoby who probably built the 'great Lodge.' But he had little time to enjoy his new possession, since in 1557, when Mary dared to restore the church lands, the manor of Merdon was granted to John White, bishop of Winchester. (fn. 12)

Hoby. Argent three weavers' bottoms gules.

An entry on the steward's roll for 1559, the year of the regrant by Elizabeth to Sir Philip Hoby's half-brother William Hoby, (fn. 13) shows that the profits of the manor, 'part of the Bishopric of Winchester before this,' were then brought into the annual account register, 'since the said manor by Act of Parliament was granted to William Hoby.' (fn. 14)

William Hoby seems, according to a monumental inscription in Hursley church, to have married as his second wife the widow of the Thomas Sternhold who in collaboration with John Hopkins first 'sounded out the Psalms of David' in metrical verse, and employed much time in singing his psalms to his organ for his own 'godly solace'. (fn. 15) On his death, probably at Hursley, in the latter part of the sixteenth century, (fn. 16) the manor descended to his son Giles, who in 1600 sold the castle and manor to Thomas Clerke of Ardington in Berkshire, his fatherin-law, reserving to himself and his wife a life interest in the lodge and park of Hursley. (fn. 17)

In 1602 Sir Thomas Clerke was living at Merdon, and in that year his son was married in Hursley church. (fn. 18) At this time the copyholders of the manor were still required to perform their customary services of reaping and carrying crops, and in Robert Morley's manuscript there is an account of a quarrel between the lord and his tenants on one of the 'hay dobyn' or service days. The lord was obliged to supply breakfast and dinner for the workers, and one day 'the cart brought afield for the reapers a hogshead of porridge which stunk and had worms in it.' The tenants headed by Mr. Coram, the holder of Cranbury, refused to work without better provision, and he and Mr. Pye, Sir Thomas Clerke's steward, drew their daggers, and rode at one another through the wheat. At last Lady Clerke promised to dress two or three hogs of bacon for them, and they quietly retired to work. (fn. 19) It is not difficult to imagine how much these hay dobyn days were hated by the tenants, especially as a hindrance to their own work, and Morley writes how 'a heire went for a man on hay dobyn days if able to carry a hook aforesaid.' (fn. 20) In 1606 Sir Thomas Clerke sold the manor of Merdon with the rest of his property to William Brock, 'a great lawyer,' who died in 1618, leaving his only child, a daughter and minor, under the joint guardianship of Sir Thomas Savage and Sir Richard Tichborne, (fn. 21) on whom settlement was made at the time of the sale in 1606. (fn. 22) In 1626 Anne Brock married John Arundell, (fn. 23) who in right of his wife became lord of the manor. The Arundells do not, however, seem to have lived at Hursley, but leased the manor in 1623 to Richard Lumley, (fn. 24) in 1626 to Henry Hastings, (fn. 25) and before 1630 sold it to Sir Nathaniel Napier of Crichel (Dorset). (fn. 26)

Napier of Crichel. Argent a saltire engrailed between four cinquefoils gules.

In the meantime, in 1621, Giles Hoby had leased the lodge and park of Hursley to Nicholas Peascod. (fn. 27) Giles died in 1626 and his wife in 1630, and thereupon the lodge and park reverted to the holder of Merdon Manor, Sir Nathaniel Napier. (fn. 28) On the death of the latter some time before 1635, (fn. 29) the manor descended to his son Gerard, who sold it in 1638–9 to Richard Major, who was, according to the description of a contemporary, a man witty and thrifty even to miserliness, and an unscrupulous oppressor of his tenantry. (fn. 30) More especially did he 'usurp authority over his tenants,' when 'King Charles was put to death and Oliver Cromwell was Protector of England and Richard Major of his Privy Council and Noll's eldest son Richard was married to Mr. Major's Doll.' (fn. 31) The marriage there referred to was that of Richard Cromwell with Dorothy Major, which brought Merdon into the Cromwell family, and gave it a part in one of the most interesting periods in English history. Richard Cromwell lived at Merdon from 1649, the year of his marriage, until he became Protector on the death of his father in 1658.

On his forced withdrawal from Whitehall in 1660, he came to Hursley for a few months, but early in the summer left England for France, (fn. 32) leaving behind him a heavy burden of debts contracted, as he himself stated, upon the public account. (fn. 33) While abroad he went by another name, 'though he did not disguise himself nor deny himself to any man that challenged him.' (fn. 34) It was thus under assumed names that he corresponded with wife and children at Hursley, where they lived in quiet seclusion, and where Mrs. Cromwell died in January, 1675–6. During her illness Cromwell wrote to his daughter Elizabeth, bidding her desire her mother to quiet her conscience concerning him and strive to be cheerful. (fn. 35) Yet the letters that follow show how little cheerfulness there was for the solitary exile. In 1680 he returned to England, (fn. 36) but not to Hursley so the letters to his children continue. His great anxiety concerning the marriage of his son Oliver, who was of age in 1677, became quite pathetic. To his daughter Elizabeth he wrote in 1689 'it would greatly please to see your brother answer a duty both to God and his family… I would hope he would not dalley any longer with Providence, but take a resolution to fixe his minde. (fn. 37) ' In the next year he wrote 'Pray let your brother settle, and that will be the best step for us to enjoy each other, according to what you desire.' (fn. 38) About this time there was evidently some thought of Richard joining his family at Hursley, (fn. 39) but the idea fell through and the letters continue.

Cromwell. Sable a lion argent.

In the meantime Oliver, on the death of his mother, had claimed Merdon in right of her marriage settlement and took possession of the estate. It was then that the customary tenants, possibly taking advantage of his youth, determined to win back some of the privileges and customs they had lost under the oppression of Richard Major. The Chancery suit was in progress in 1692, and lasted on until after the death of Oliver in 1705. In 1707 Imber, on behalf of the tenants, since the Chancery decree was 'written in chancery hand and part thereof being in Latin and therefore not able to be read and understood by the tenants,' made an English abstract of the same in order that the tenants and their successors 'might on all occasions rightly know the customs of the manor.' (fn. 40) They claimed ordinary copyholders' rights, right to demise customary lands by copy to pay a fixed fine on admittance to let their tenements for a year without licence to have sole right to fell trees on their tenements except oak, and even oak for repairs to have sole pasture and feeding on the lord's heaths and wastes, and in the three coppices of South Holme, Heale Coppice, and Holman Coppice. Oliver Cromwell had ignored these customs on several occasions, as for instance when he brought an action against Mrs. Elliot for leasing her copyhold for a year, and against Thomas Lloyd for cutting down some oak trees for repairs on his copyhold of Nevil's Close and Hiltingbury (fn. 41) In 1705 Oliver died before the suit was finished, and a dispute arose concerning the Hursley estate. Richard Cromwell, who had allowed his son's right to the manor, now disputed the right of his daughters, who considered themselves the heirs of their brother. The case was heard and decided in Richard's favour, (fn. 42) and after this he seems to have lived partly at Hursley and partly at Cheshunt. (fn. 43) In 1712 he died at Cheshunt, and was buried at Hursley with much pomp. (fn. 44) His two surviving daughters, Elizabeth and Anne, succeeded to the estate, but only lived at Merdon for a few years, selling the whole manor in 1718 to Sir William Heathcote. (fn. 45) Sir William pulled down the old mansion-house, then in ruins, and built the modern house. He died in 1751, (fn. 46) leaving his eldest son Thomas as heir. On the death of Sir Thomas in 1787 the manor descended to his son William, whose great-grandson, Sir William Percival Heathcote, sold the estate in 1899 to Joseph W. Baxendale, who sold it in 1905 to Sir George Cooper, bart., the present owner.

Heathcote. Ermine three roundels vert with a cross or upon each.

Hursley House is a fine building, the central part of which dates from the early part of the eighteenth century, while the wings are modern additions. The great attraction of the house is the splendid oak panelling and fittings formerly in Winchester College Chapel, and most unfortunately removed at the disastrous 'restoration' of the chapel by Butterfield. The work is of the time of Charles II, the carving being, as usual, attributed to Gibbons in this case it is at any rate worthy of him. The site of the former house lies behind the present building on lower ground, and its foundations may be seen in the turf, though no part is now above ground.

CRANBURY

CRANBURY seems originally to have been an important hamlet of Hursley, (fn. 47) and to have consisted of many distinct tenements or copyholds, (fn. 48) but now the name belongs only to Cranbury House and Park. Of the proprietors of Cranbury, who held of course of the bishop as of his manor of Merdon, the first mentioned seems to be a certain Shoveller, who surrendered to a Roger Coram before 1580. The latter, according to Marsh, seems to have been 'a zealous assertor of the tenants' rights against the lords of the manor.' (fn. 49) On the death of this Roger Coram Sir Edward Richards seems to have held the property until 1640–3, (fn. 50) when he let it, with the lord's consent, to Dr. John Young, dean of Winchester, who lived in quiet retirement at Cranbury during the Commonwealth. His widow, Mrs. Young, was holding in 1650, and probably resigned the house to Sir Charles Wyndham, who married her daughter in 1665. Sir Charles, who seems also to have been 'a zealous assertor of the tenants' rights,' and 'of a most respectable family,' died in 1706, before his wife, who survived him until 1720. (fn. 51) On her death the house and estate were sold to Jonathan Conduit, who sold the whole in 1737 or 1738 to Thomas Lee Dummer. The latter died in 1765, leaving a son and heir Thomas, from whom the estate devolved to Sir Nathaniel Holland. (fn. 52) On the death of Lady Holland, widow of Sir Nathaniel, the estate passed into the Chamberlayne family, and is held at the present day by Mr. Tankerville Chamberlayne.

Chamberlayne. Gules a cheveron engrailed or between three scallops argent.

Cranbury House is a large eighteenth-century red-brick building, with a projecting entrance porch on the south front, the main rooms being arranged round a central hall and staircase. There is a good deal of fine plaster decoration in the Adam style, especially in the saloon on the south front, which has a circular domed ceiling. The house contains a good number of valuable paintings, there being one very fine Romney, of Lady Hamilton as a maenad, and several of less merit. In the rooms on the east front are a number of pictures by Richter and Westall, and a curious unfinished subject painting, said to be by Romney.

The site of the house is well chosen, the ground falling steeply on the north, in well-wooded slopes. Some way down the slope is a spring, over which a domed well-house has been built, and on the higher ground to the west of the house is a circular earthwork. To the north of this is a summer-house and a stone sun-dial, said to have been designed by Sir Isaac Newton its gnomon is supported by a monogram in openwork, apparently I.L.C. for Jonathan Conduit. In the park, at some distance to the south-west of the house, is a gamekeeper's cottage, masked by a sham ruin made up of fragments from Netley Abbey, whose north transept was destroyed for the purpose. A set of very beautiful early fourteenthcentury bosses from a vault are built into the work.

Tenements in LONGMOOR, which is now the name of a farm on the western borders of Cranbury Park, were included in 1551 and in later grants among the appurtenances of the manor of Merdon. (fn. 53)

The hamlets of STANDON (Staundone, xiv cent. Stonden, xvi cent.) and PITT (Putte, xiv cent.) were given among the bishop's possessions in 1316 as the 'villa de Staundone' and the 'villa de Putte,' and were evidently quite important hamlets. (fn. 54) Tenements in both were also given among the appurtenant tenements of Merdon manor in 1551. (fn. 55) A messuage and lands in Pitt were held by Sir John Philpott, lord of the manor of Compton, on his death in 1502, (fn. 56) and remained in the Philpott family until 1623, when Sir George Philpott held the same on his death. (fn. 57)

Hursley parsonage-house and the tenement of SHARLAND (Shorling, xv cent. et seq.) belonged in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries to the college of St. Elizabeth near Winchester as appropriators of the church of Hursley. (fn. 58) At the Dissolution they were granted as 'the parsonage of Hursley and a tenement and pasture called Shorlinge in Hursley' to Thomas Wriothesley, Lord Southampton. (fn. 59)

In 1562 Frances Kempe and Thomas Wilmot brought a Chancery suit against John Forster concerning a lease of the parsonage and 'the manor or tenement of Shorling.' They petitioned that Thomas Runcorne, warden of the late college of St. Elizabeth, and the chaplains of the same being lawfully seised of the house and tenement about 1539, leased the same with the consent of the bishop of Winchester for a term of forty-one or forty-two years to John Wilmot. In 1558 John Wilmot bequeathed the same to his wife Joan for her life and after her death to his son Edward Wilmot. In later days the parsonage-house and the great tithes were purchased by the Heathcote family.

AMPFIELD

AMPFIELD (Annfelde, xiv cent. Anfield xvi and xvii cent.), civil parish, was created out of Hursley parish in 1894. Before this time it was a hamlet of Hursley, appurtenant to the manor of Merdon. In 1316 it was given among the bishop of Winchester's possessions. (fn. 60) In 1551, when, after John Poynet had surrendered the manor of Merdon among others to Edward VI, the king granted the manor to Sir Philip Hoby, lands and tenements in 'Anfield' were given among the appurtenances together with those in PUCKNALL (Pukenhale, xiv cent. Puckinhall, xvi cent.) HILTINGBURY and HAWSTEAD (Horstead Field, xiv cent.). (fn. 61) The latter are now included in Ampfield parish Pucknall Farm is in the north-west, Hiltingbury Common in the south-east, and Hawstead in the east.

CHURCHES

The church of ALL SAINTS, HURSLEY, has a chancel with north and south chapels, a nave with north and south aisles, and a western tower, all except the tower being modern, and rebuilt by John Keble during his long incumbency, 1836–66. The work is of fourteenthcentury style, but rather lifeless the church owes its picturesque effect rather to its situation than its architecture. The tower is of three stages, faced with chequer work of flint and stone, the two lower stages being old, and apparently of fifteenth-century date. There is a pointed west doorway under a square head, with what may be a consecration cross on its south jamb, and above the doorway is a squareheaded window of three cinquefoiled lights. The belfry stage is modern, and from it rises a stone spire.

Keble. Argent a cheveron engrailed gules and a chief azure with three molets or therein.

Two brasses are preserved from the old church, one of John Bowland, 1470, and another of Anne Horswell, 1559, with a quaint inscription in English. In the tower is a large monument to Mrs. Elizabeth Connell, 1731.

There are six bells: the first by Mears & Stainbank, 1880 second and third by W. Taylor, Oxford, 1835 the fourth bears the inscription 'Prayse God, I W, 1616' the fifth 'O Give thanks to God I W, 1616,' both by John Wallis of Salisbury the sixth is by Robert Cor of Aldbourne, 1713.

The plate is a silver-gilt set dating from 1841, consisting of a chalice, two patens, a large flagon, and an almsdish.

The first five books of registers, containing mixed entries, run as follows:—1600–39, 1640–53, 1653–66, 1665–1706, 1706–53. The sixth and seventh books contain baptisms and burials, 1755–82, and the eighth the same, 1783–1820. The ninth and tenth contain marriages, 1754–1813.

The church of ST. MARK, AMPFIELD, was built in 1838–40 by Sir W. Heathcote, bart., of blue brick and stone. It consists of chancel, nave, north transept, south aisle, porch and open octagonal western turret with spire, containing two bells. The register dates from 1841.

ADVOWSONS

The church of Hursley was in the gift of the bishop of Winchester until the beginning of the fourteenth century when John de Pontoise founded the college of St. Elizabeth, Winchester. (fn. 62) This foundation led to the ordination of the vicarage of Hursley, the rectory of which was given by the bishop to the college. (fn. 63) The grant of the appropriation of the church, which had been made without the licence of Edward I, was confirmed to Richard de Bourne, the provost, and the chaplains and clerks by Edward II in 1307. (fn. 64) Bishop Edendon, when ratifying to the college the gift of Hursley Church, (fn. 65) contrived to secure for himself and his successors the rectory-house. (fn. 66) The possession of the rectory was, however, restored to the provost and chaplains by William of Wykeham in 1372, when the college undertook to pay an additional annual pension of 13s. 4d. to the bishop. (fn. 67) The provost and chaplains presented the vicars until the Dissolution, when the advowson fell into the hands of the king. Edward VI granted it together with the manor of Merdon to Sir Philip Hoby, (fn. 68) and from this time the advowson followed the descent of the manor. (fn. 69)

The living of St. Mark's, Ampfield, is a vicarage in the gift of the Heathcote trustees.

CHARITIES

In 1720 Mrs. Wyndham left £20 in respect of which 20s a year was distributed among the poor on St. Thomas's Day.

By deed, 1817, the trusts of a sum of money were declared which had been raised by subscription for the purpose of providing a Sunday evening service at the church. The fund was added to from time to time, and is now represented by £1,224 18s. 8d. consols.

In 1864 James Beckley, by will proved this date, left £3,647 2s. 6d. consols to the rector and churchwardens, and directed that the income should be applied weekly to five poor widows or widowers not under the age of fifty-five, who receive 7s. 6d. a week each.

In 1893 Emma Baker, by her will proved this date, bequeathed a moiety of her residuary estate for the benefit of the poor. A sum of £318 was received in respect thereof, of which £300 was invested in £301 16s. 9d. India £3 per cent. stock, the balance being distributed among the poor together with the income accruing on the stock.

The sums of stock belonging to the charities respectively are held by the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds.


Cranberry Lake Park

The conservation easement at Cranberry Lake Park covers about 53 acres of this 213-acre park. Of particular interest when the conservation easement was designed was a section of the eastern part of the park that includes both the lakeshore and a bog, a locally uncommon wetland. Bogs are unusual wetlands with rich organic soils that often contain unique plant life, including several carnivorous plants like sundews and pitcher plants. The park contains almost two miles of peaceful trails and a historic farmstead.

Cranberry Lake Park is located at 388 West Predmore Road, Oakland Twp, MI, 48363. The area with the conservation easement can be found by following the trails to the northeast until you reach the lakeshore.

For more information on Cranberry Lake Park, visit the Cranberry Lake Park website managed by Oakland Township Parks and Recreation


A HISTORY OF EASTLEIGH

Eastleigh is a railway town in Hampshire but there was a village called East leah as long ago as the year 932. Leah was a Saxon word meaning a clearing in a forest. The little hamlets of Eastley and Barton continued to exist through the centuries until 1838.

In that year the London and Southwestern Railway Company built a railway from Southampton to Winchester. It passed through the small village of Barton. A station was built there but as Barton was so small the station was named Bishopstoke Junction. (Bishopstoke was the nearest place of any importance).

In 1839 the railway was extended to Basingstoke and London and the first train passed through Bishopstoke Junction. The station was renamed Eastleigh and Bishopstoke in 1889 and was finally renamed Eastleigh in 1923.

The railway company began to build cottages for its employees by the new station. By 1851 Barton had a population of 194 and Eastley had a population of 213. In 1852 a cheese market was opened by the railway station. It soon became Hampshire’s leading cheese market. It even had its own siding.

In 1861 much of the land near the station was purchased by a man named Thomas Chamberlayne. (Chamberlayne Road was named after him). He lived on an estate called Cranbury Park (Cranbury Road was named after it). Chamberlayne leased the land by the railway station for building.

The first speculative houses built at Eastleigh were Tate Terrace. They were built in 1864 by a man named Matthew Tate. Others soon followed.

In 1868 the two villages of Barton and Eastley were combined into one parish. A new church was built called the Church of the Resurrection. A woman named Charlotte Yonge from Otterburn donated 500 pounds (a huge sum of money in those days) towards the cost of building the new church. She was asked to decide whether the new parish should be called Barton or Eastley. She decided to call it Eastleigh, changing the spelling to make it more modern.

In 1871 the new parish of Eastleigh had a population of 515. It then grew rapidly and by 1881 it had a population of just over 1,000. There were 3 streets, High Street, Market Street, and Southampton Road.

The first school in Eastleigh opened in 1870. The new community continued to grow rapidly in the 1880s and 3 new streets were laid out in 1890. By 1891 Eastleigh had a population of 3,613.

In 1884 the railway company decided to build a wagon and carriage works at Eastleigh. They began building in 1889. This new industry meant that Eastleigh boomed. In 1909 locomotive works were built at Eastleigh.

In 1893 a Local Board was formed in Eastleigh. Until then there were no sewers or drains in Eastleigh and no street lights. Roads were in very poor condition. The Local Board set about creating drains and street lights. They also built pavements and kerbs but roads were not made up until the 20th century.

A fire brigade was also formed in Eastleigh. In 1895 the Local Board was replaced with an Urban District Council. In 1899 the two communities of Eastleigh and Bishopstoke were merged.

In 1892 the railway company built a Railway Institute for its employees recreation. In 1896 the council obtained Recreation Field and laid it out as a park. The first cinema in Eastleigh opened in 1911.

By 1901 Eastleigh had grown into a small town with a population of over 9,000. The airport began life in 1910 when an early aviator called Eric Moon flew an aircraft called the Moonbeam from fields in a farm. In 1917 the farm was made into a military airfield. In 1929 it became Southampton Municipal Airport. The Spitfire made its maiden flight from the airport in 1936.

A new era began in Eastleigh in 1921 when Pirelli opened a cable factory there. The new industry boosted the growth of the town.

In the 1920s the first council houses were built in Eastleigh in Winchester Road and Derby Road. The Town Hall was built in 1928. In 1936 Eastleigh was made a borough.

Many more council houses were built after 1945 including an estate with streets named after birds.

In 1962 Dr Beeching announced plans to close the wagon and carriage works in Eastleigh. Despite protests, his plan went ahead and only the locomotive works remained. However, the council tried to attract new industries by building industrial estates.

In 1985 the original parish church in Eastleigh was damaged by fire. The same year Hampshire Fire Brigade built a new headquarters in Eastleigh.

Fleming Park leisure centre opened in 1975. Swan Shopping Centre was built in 1989. A new library was built in 1990 and the Eastleigh Lakeside Railway began operating in 1992. In 1994 the airport was refurbished and expanded. The Point Theatre opened in 1996.


Cranberry Lake Campground & Day Use Area

Please be advised: Infrastructure work is planned at this facility for spring 2020. Construction will be ongoing after the campground opening resulting in a delayed opening for Sites 1-30, 32, and 126-172. This may also result in minor disruptions in other areas of the facility.

In addition, this infrastructure work will continue in fall 2020, resulting in an early closing of Labor Day.

Please check our site for updates. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause but appreciate your support as we continue to improve our facilities!

  • Dates of Operation:See campground schedule
  • Camping Fee: $20 per night (out of state residents surcharge additional $5 per night)
  • Address: 243 Lone Pine Road, Cranberry Lake, NY 12927 (directions below)
  • GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):44d11ཨ.90"N, 74d49ཟ.37"W
  • Campground Phone: (315) 848-2315
  • Regional Office Phone: (315) 265-3090
  • Make Your Camping Reservation:ReserveAmerica

Firewood Restriction Map (PDF) shows the 50-mile radius from which untreated firewood may be moved to this campground. Help prevent the spread of invasive pests and diseases by following New York's firewood regulation.

One of the largest remote lakes in the Adirondacks and it's proximity to 50,000 acres of wilderness, intermingled with 50 miles of well developed trails makes Cranberry Lake the outdoor enthusiasts perfect vacation spot. Whether it's fishing, boating or just laying back and enjoying your well deserved vacation, Cranberry Lake is the spot for you. The lake has been stocked with trout in the past and many of the ponds, streams and rivers support excellent trout fishing. The perfectly formed forest canopy in the campground provides excellent shade on hot summer days while the undergrowth provides excellent privacy for campers. From Cranberry Lake to other Adirondack Campgrounds requires only a short trip on a major highway.

Amenities

171 campsites hot showers flush toilets trailer dump station recycling center boat launch near Cranberry Lake hamlet pay telephone sand beach with bathhouse Picnic area with tables, fireplaces, and grills Firewood Sales Amphitheater fishing pier pavilion rental.

Cranberry Lake Campground features an accessible picnic area, rest rooms, shower house, accessible tent and RV campsites and an accessible fishing pier. It is located in a picturesque wooded setting alongside Cranberry Lake. Full listing of DECs Accessible Recreation Destinations.

Campsite Restoration Project

This campground has sites that have been selected for restoration. While undergoing restoration the chosen sites will be closed. For the list of sites and more information on the project visit the Campsite Restoration Project page.

Featured Activities

Power boats, rowboats, kayaks and canoes allowed. The Oswegatchie River provides a canoe trip of approximately 16 miles starting at Inlet. For the more adventurous, a canoe carry of 3.5 miles offers the canoeist an additional unique opportunity to enjoy over 14.5 miles of unencumbered scenic waters on the Bog River Flow.

Bass, trout, and pan fish. Fishing licenses are no longer being sold at any of our campground facilities, but can be conveniently purchased on-line or by phone.

Cranberry Lake Campground offers a great base for hiking the numerous trails in the area. Two foot trails leave the campground. The 2.4 mile Bear Mountain Trail is a loop trail which offers a challenging climb and scenic vistas to the novice hiker. The campground trail provides access to a 17.4 mile loop trail system which is well maintained for casual hiking. The Cranberry Lake Wild Forest, the northern gateway to the Five Ponds Wilderness Area, covers 11 square miles.

Approximately 2 miles west of the hamlet is the Peavine Swamp Ski Trail System which is used by hikers to view a relatively untouched forest. The Five Ponds Wilderness Area has over 50 miles of foot trails which are generally more challenging.

A swimming beach available. * Please take note the swimming facilities at this location are not supervised by a lifeguard or other responsible person. In place of on-site supervision, this facility has established a series of safeguards to be followed by all guests, the details of which are outlined in a brochure presented to customers upon arrival at the facility.

Directions

From the West: I-81 take Exit 45 (Route 3) at Watertown. Take Route 3 to Cranberry Lake Village. Turn right on Lone Pine Road, campground is 1 mile south.

From the North: Take Route 56 south from Potsdam. At intersection with Route 3 turn right (west) and follow Route 3 to Cranberry Lake Village. Turn left onto Lone Pine Road, campground is 1 mile south.

From the South: From I-90 (NYS Thruway) west take Exit 27 at Amsterdam to Route 30 north. Take Route 30 north to Tupper Lake Village, turn left onto Route 3 west. Take Route 3 to Cranberry Lake Village, turn left on Lone Pine Road, campground is 1 mile south.

Planning and Management

The Cranberry Lake Campground Unit Management Plan (PDF, 6.45MB) guides the DEC's land management activities at this facility for a five-year period, although a number of goals and objectives in the plan focus on a much longer time period. The UMP addresses specific objectives and actions for public use at this facility.

For more information regarding the UMP for this facility please contact the Bureau of Recreation, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY12233, Telephone 518 457-2500, and email for campground information

Rules, Regulations and Outdoor Safety

Clean your boat and equipment - help prevent the spread of aquatic invasives

Don't move firewood - help prevent of spread of invasive insects

Additional Information

Historic Interest

The Cranberry Lake area is one of the largest remote areas remaining in the state. There has been only a minimum of civilized encroachment on the lake itself and just to the south lie thousands of acres of unbroken forest lands.

Originally, the lake was about half its present size, but in 1867 a log crib dam was completed at Cranberry Lake Village to control the flow of the river and improve navigation. The present concrete dam was built in 1916.

Cranberry Lake Campground has developed through several phases of construction. The original 15 sites were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1935. The supervisors cabin, bathhouse, and vault latrines were added in 1937. The next expansion was the peninsula loop in the early 1960's. Loops one through five were completed in the late 1960's, more than tripling the capacity of the campground. The latest major building to be built was the shower house in 1979.

Junior Naturalist Program

Our campgrounds become an outdoor classroom for young children (5-13) and their families. Enjoy games and activities to earn a beautiful embroidered patch.


Watch the video: Gallaher Mansion Haunted at Cranbury Park Creepy Acid Tree!!! (May 2022).